Friday, May 7, 2010

Embracing Your Cool...


"I think I should have been around in the 1970s rather than now. I just like the whole energy of that era. There was this whole love movement: love for country and the world and fellow man. It was about standing up for the people—power to the people—and that's who I am. I just got here a little late."

-Baron Davis (courtesy of
GQ)

I couldn’t agree more, Mr. Davis. If I had to pick my favorite decade, it would definitely be the 70s. Fact is, I think the world was a lot cooler then than it is today. I always say that one of my goals is to bring the 70s vibe to present day. Funny enough, that's a time period that started a decade (and change) before I was even thought of. But every time I look back at photos from this time, whether it be my parents, the musicians, athletes, etc., everybody just seemed to be have that natural cool element.

When I think about the 70s, I think of people who weren't afraid to express themselves, whether it be through the way they dressed or in their beliefs. I think there was a sense of coolness that nowadays is hard to find.

Let me pause here; I don't want this type of cool to be confused with the forced cool that we often see running through our lives. This isn't about walking around the clubs with shades on...that just doesn't make sense. I'll borrow from Lupe here and call that "chasing the cool". I'm talking about the way people carried themselves like they ruled the world.

While style has changed since this era, some for the better (no more bell bottoms), some for the worst (the sagging epidemic) there is no reason that the sense of being that was embodied during this time shouldn't still be with us.

At some point along the way more people started trying way too hard to be cool. The people we looked at as being cool changed, and now we are in a place where cool is doing whatever everybody else is doing or believes is what should be done, losing our sense of individuality in the process.

Truly being cool, however, IS being an individual; being yourself and embracing who you really are at your core. You don't have to wear Blac Label or Ed Hardy if you don't want to. If you rather wear a cardigan, go for it. You don't have to wear shades at night; if you'd rather actually see where you're walking, do that.

As much as style has changed since then, when I think about the 70s I think about one thing: being yourself can be cool. Power to the people.

Cheers to you,

JIP

No comments:

Post a Comment