Monday, December 28, 2009

Don't Pack Christmas Away Until Next Year

Evening all,

I hope that everyone is enjoying/enjoyed their holiday season. For me, it's one of the few times that I get to connect with my old friends and family so I'm particularly fond of it (plus my birthday being in December doesn't hurt either).

Anyway, I attended service at my home church the other day, and my pastor's sermon was based on doing God's work and he specifically mentioned not packing Christmas away until next year.

This struck a cord with me because so often when we are in the holiday spirit we look for ways to help others through various organizations and volunteer events. While this is great, many of these same people struggle the remainder of the year; does that mean we should ignore their needs during this time?

We're supposed to love one another, aren't we? Look at 1 John 4:7:

"Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God"

I can't think of a better way to show our love than to help our fellow man.

I charge that we all of look for ways to help those in need throughout the year. Can you imagine giving somebody the feeling of Christmas year-round? I know I'd take it.

Cheers to our future efforts,

JIP

No comments:

Post a Comment