Sunday, September 20, 2009

JIP's Picks: Kid Cudi

Okay, so I know that I'm not the first person to talk about this guy, but I felt compelled to write this anyway: Kid Cudi is one of my new favorite artists.

Now, for those of you who know me, this says a lot. I was hesitant to buy in at first because I'm normally against artists that come in with a lot of hype (Drake), especially when it's on the back of somebody like Kanye. Nonetheless, I downloaded the mixtape "Dat Kid from Cleveland". After listening to it, I realized that this guy had potential. He had a smooth flow, but it was his choice of beats that I enjoyed the most; he wasn't afraid to try something different and branch out. It reminded me of what Kanye did with The College Dropout when he made the soul sample a mainstay in the production world.

Next, I listened to "A Kid Named Cudi". This mixtape, albeit his introductory tape, took even more risks that "Dat Kid from Cleveland". Off of the bat, he featured Wale, who is another one of my favorite new artists, so that showed me he knows what time it is. My favorite song on the mixtape is "The Prayer" which has the following lyrics in the first verse
Sometimes I'm thinking God made me special here on purpose
So all the while 'til I'm gone make my words important so
If I slip away, if I die today the last thing you remember won't
Be about some apple bottom jeans with the boots with the fur
Baby how I dream of being free since my birth
Cursed but the demons I confronted would disperse
Have you ever heard of some sh!t so real?
Beyond from the heart, from the soul you can feel?


Enough said.

After listening to both of these mixtapes, I naturally was hype about the release of "Man on the Moon: The End of Day", and it, if possible, exceeded my expectations. That's mainly due to the fact that this album explored the non-traditional hip-hop side of Kid Cudi that was introduced in his mixtapes. This is definitely an alternative rap album.

Another element of this album that I connected with is the vulnerability he displayed; the level of realness in his lyrics was a breath of fresh air. For instance, in one of my favorite songs, "Soundtrack 2 My Life" the chorus goes:

I’ve got some issues that nobody can see
And all of these emotions are pouring out of me
I bring them to the light for you
It’s only right
This is the soundtrack to my life, the soundtrack to my life


Although Cudi is signed to GOOD Music, there are only two Kanye produced tracks, including his second single "Make Her Say" featuring Kanye and Common. This leaves the rest of the album to use production to explore a wide variety of non-traditional hip-hop beats, making it that much more enjoyable.

The last thing I'll touch on is how this is a concept album by definition. There are 5 acts. which are narrated by Common: The End of Day, Rise of the Night Terrors, Taking a Trip, Stuck, A New Beginning. Each song plays a role in the overall development of the album and contributes to the transition between each act.

I could talk about this album all day, but I encourage everyone to have a listen. It may not be for everybody, but I believe everyone will leave with an appreciation for the body of work.

Check out Cudi performing his new single, "Pursuit of Happiness" on Letterman:

Cheers to Kid Cudi,

JIP

No comments:

Post a Comment